Hey! I’m so glad you found me, and I’m honored to have you reading things I write.
A little about me
I’m the Lead Pastor at The Gathering, and I am passionate about seeing people experience the life that comes from being in close relationships with God and others.
After just over 2 decades ministering in churches as a youth pastor and worship leader, I spent 5 years on the road speaking in churches, universities, and other venues. It was during this time that God began to form a hunger in me to see what would happen if a body of passionate followers of Christ really began to serve the hurting in a local setting. The Gathering seeks to be that body.
I am the author of 2 books, the father of 3 children – Parker, Will, and Sydney – and the husband of one wife, Wendy. I love running, reading, the NFL (Panthers!!), and drinking Starbucks coffee while spending time on a myriad of Apple products.
I also love to laugh – a lot! – and as a huge fan of Seinfeld, nothing makes me laugh harder than this clip.
A little about this blog
I’ve kind of got a love/hate relationship with writing, whether in my journal or on my blog. I love doing it but often hate the discipline it takes to do it, but when I stop, I hate that even more. And so this blog is kind of my public “line in the sand” manifesto that I WILL WRITE. It’s been kind of sporadic through the years, but at the beginning of 2014 I committed myself to posting to the blog once a week on Thursdays. As I establish more and more of a rhythm in my writing, I may add another day, but so far once is good for me.
My writing will always involve the following themes because they have become so deeply ingrained in who I am: faith, family, overcoming difficult circumstances and pop culture. My favorite posts find a way to weave a lot of that together in a way that most everyone can relate to and be encouraged by.
So, thanks for hopping on board. I’ve listed a few of my most popular posts below for you (and some of my favorite ones, too). Let’s just call it…
A little sampler
- Furtick, Elevation, and why most of us probably just need to shut up
- Why I Almost Killed Somebody When I Cleaned my Coffee Maker
- The God Who went too far
- Sydney and Light Switches
- The world may love homosexuality, but God loves homosexuals
- What Steve Smith can teach you about money
- Are you aware of or afraid of the crowd
- Why I Love Chick Flicks
- Duck Dynasty and the exclusivity of the Gospel
- How Katy Perry can make us better Christians
- 10 years. 2 people. 1 amazing story.
- The day that changed my life forever
- Tubing with Lady GaGa
- The Bone Whisperer
- Ten years ago, I preached this at my brother’s funeral
- The man who said “Ice up, son!” long before Steve Smith
- God doesn’t care how you feel
- 4 reasons why the New Year won’t lead to a new you
- Hiding from 4 year-old ghosts
- NASCAR, Traffic Jams, and Heaven
Again, thanks for reading. This journey we’re all on is a whole lot better when we walk it together, and I’m honored if this blog becomes a part of your journey, too.